Here are your stories for today...
Be safe out there!
Tom
-
Power Bank Fire On IndiGo Flight In Chandigarh Triggers Emergency Evacuation; 6 Injured
Aviation Today News Desk
Chandigarh, India: A potentially serious aviation incident was narrowly avoided at Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport on May 5 after a passenger’s power bank caught fire onboard an IndiGo flight shortly after landing, prompting panic and an emergency evacuation that left six people injured.
The incident involved flight 6E-108 from Hyderabad to Chandigarh, which had already landed and was taxiing toward the bay when the fire broke out inside the cabin.
According to officials, the fire originated from a power bank stored in a seat pocket by a passenger seated in row 39C. The device suddenly ignited, producing smoke and flames that quickly spread inside the aircraft cabin.
“After landing during a taxi into the bay at Chandigarh, a Power Bank kept in a pouch in the seat pocket by a passenger seated on 39C caught fire,” officials said.
Passengers onboard reported a sudden build-up of smoke, triggering panic.
“There was smoke in the cabin and people began panicking,” a passenger said. The cabin crew responded immediately, using onboard fire extinguishers to contain the blaze.
“Cabin Crew used two fire extinguisher bottles to extinguish the fire,” officials said. As a precautionary measure, the crew initiated a full emergency evacuation, deploying all six slides.
The aircraft was carrying around 198 passengers and six crew members, all of whom were evacuated safely.
However, six passengers sustained injuries during the evacuation and were taken to hospital. The injuries were reported to be minor and largely occurred while using the evacuation slides.
“All passengers and crew were safely evacuated,” officials said. Passenger Kapoor said several elderly travellers required medical attention.
Ajay Verma, CEO of Chandigarh International Airport, said, “Emergency response teams acted immediately after the incident was reported, and all necessary protocols were followed to ensure passenger safety,” said.
He added that airport authorities worked in coordination with airline staff and emergency services to manage the situation efficiently.
Passengers described chaotic scenes during the evacuation and raised concerns over safety measures onboard.
“Had this happened mid-air, it could have been much worse,” a passenger said.
Some travellers also questioned the screening of electronic devices, particularly power banks, before boarding.
Passengers alleged that airline staff failed to properly regulate the use and monitoring of power banks onboard, raising concerns about enforcement of safety norms. Some travellers questioned whether stricter checks or clearer instructions could have prevented the incident, pointing out that portable electronic devices, particularly lithium-ion batteries, pose known fire risks if not handled correctly. They urged airlines to reinforce guidelines and ensure better awareness among passengers regarding the safe storage and use of such devices during flights
In its official statement, IndiGo confirmed the incident and reiterated its commitment to safety. “On 5 May 2026, while IndiGo flight 6E 108 from Hyderabad to Chandigarh was stationary after landing, an incident involving a customer’s personal electronic equipment catching fire was reported,” the airline said.
“In the interest of safety, an immediate evacuation was carried out and all the relevant authorities were immediately informed. All customers have been safely moved to the terminal and are being attended to by the team to ensure their well-being. The aircraft will undergo necessary checks before resuming operations. At IndiGo, the safety of our customers and crew remains our top priority,” the airline added.
Authorities have initiated an investigation to determine the exact cause of the fire and assess adherence to safety protocols.
The incident shows the risks associated with lithium-ion batteries, particularly power banks, which are known to pose fire hazards under certain conditions.
Importantly, the fire occurred after the aircraft had landed, preventing what could have been a far more dangerous mid-air situation.
Swift action by the cabin crew and airport emergency teams ensured the situation was contained without serious injuries. However, the incident has raised concerns regarding the handling and monitoring of portable electronic devices on flights.
Power Bank Fire On IndiGo Flight In Chandigarh Triggers Emergency Evacuation; 6 Injured
'It is a big effort': What it takes to conduct emergency simulations at Mitchell Airport
BY Blake Dietz Wisconsin
MILWAUKEE — Black smoke bellowed from a car on a runway at the Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport Tuesday morning.
What You Need To Know
- Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport held a full-scale emergency exercise Tuesday
- The exercise simulated a collision between a plane and vehicle on an airport runway
- Full-scale emergency exercises are required by law every three years, but Mitchell conducts exercises every two
- Officials say the simulation helps not only stay prepared, but learn how to better respond to emergencies
Normally, that would mean something terrible had happened, but this fire was planned. It’s part of the airport’s full-scale-emergency exercise, a required practice for all airports to test their response and identify weaknesses.
The emergencies vary each time, and the airport holds the exercise every two years. This one simulated a crash between a plane and a vehicle.
“We’re simulating all the different steps we do to help them out on scene,” said Milwaukee County Airport Fire Chief Kevin Doyne.
Doyne and other officials helped coordinate the response at the airport firehouse, which transformed into an emergency operations center.
The airport does everything it can to make the scenario as realistic as possible.
Volunteers are used as victims, complete with artist-applied injuries. As for emergency responders, while they know the training date, they don’t know when or what the simulation is until they receive a call.
Chief Doyne said every aspect of the response, and resources from the entire county, are tested.
“I’m in [the emergency operations center] finding out
how many patients we have, that kind of thing, what was going on with it,” said Chief Doyne. “The airline has representative in there, TSA, all the different departments within the airport. And we support [emergency responders] and kind of make sure everything gets going.”
The airport prepares with officials and a third-party emergency coordinator months in advance. Though it is required every three years, the airport’s director of public affairs, Harold Mester, said they run the drill more often.
“There are easily hundreds of people involved in this operation,” said Mester. “It is a big effort here at the airport. Again, we do it only every two years, but it’s a chance for us — for each section — to go through their emergency plan, make sure that everything is correct, if anything needs to be modified in those plans, and just to make sure that the employees themselves are familiar with what to do in the event of an accident. So, it should be second nature for how these responses happen.”
Chief Doyne said it’s not only practice. They take away improvements to their response, like utilizing smaller UTV vehicles for victim transport. All to ensure safety is the top priority.
“After this, we’ll have debriefs and all that kind of thing,” Chief Doyne said. “What went good? What went bad? We’ll make our adjustments, start training to it, and then two years from now, test it some more.”
https://spectrumnews1.com/wi/milwaukee/news/2026/05/05/mitchell--airport--milwaukee--emergency--training
NTSB Final Report: Helio H-395
While Attempting To Takeoff From A Remote Airstrip In A Tailwheel Equipped Airplane, He Miscalculated The Airplane’s Performance Abilities
Location: Pilot Point, Alaska Accident Number: ANC25LA095
Date & Time: August 20, 2025, 17:00 Local Registration: N44344
Aircraft: Helio H-395 Aircraft Damage: Substantial
Defining Event: Collision during takeoff/land Injuries: 4 None
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation - Business
Analysis: The pilot reported that, while attempting to takeoff from a remote airstrip in a tailwheel equipped airplane, he miscalculated the airplane’s performance abilities, and the airplane overran the available takeoff area.
The airplane struck terrain, which resulted in substantial damage to the fuselage.
The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical failures or malfunctions with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.
Probable Cause and Findings: The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be -- The pilot's inadequate takeoff performance planning, which resulted in a runway excursion and collision with terrain.
FMI: www.ntsb.gov

Today in History
38 Years ago today: On 6 May 1988 Widerøes flight 710, a de Havilland Canada DHC-7, flew into a hillside while on approach to Brønnøysund Airport, Norway, killing all 36 occupants.
| Date: | Friday 6 May 1988 |
| Time: | 20:30 |
| Type: | de Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 |
| Owner/operator: | Widerøes Flyveselskap |
| Registration: | LN-WFN |
| MSN: | 28 |
| Year of manufacture: | 1980 |
| Total airframe hrs: | 16934 hours |
| Cycles: | 32347 flights |
| Engine model: | P&W Canada PT6A-50 |
| Fatalities: | Fatalities: 36 / Occupants: 36 |
| Other fatalities: | 0 |
| Aircraft damage: | Destroyed, written off |
| Category: | Accident |
| Location: | 8 km SW of Brønnøysund Airport (BNN) - Norway |
| Phase: | Approach |
| Nature: | Passenger - Scheduled |
| Departure airport: | Namsos Airport (OSY/ENNM) |
| Destination airport: | Brønnøysund Airport (BNN/ENBN) |
| Investigating agency: | Flyhavarikommisjon |
| Confidence Rating: | Accident investigation report completed and information captured |
Narrative:
Widerøes flight 710, a de Havilland Canada DHC-7, flew into a hillside while on approach to Brønnøysund Airport, Norway, killing all 36 occupants.
Flight WF710 took off from Trondheim (TRD), Norway, at 19:23 local time on a domestic light to Namsos (OSY), Brønnøysund (BNN), Sandnessjøen (SSJ) and Bodø Airport (BOO).
The flight to Namsos was uneventful. The aircraft took off from Namsos at 20:07 and contacted Trondheim ACC six minutes later, stating that they were climbing from FL70 to FL90. At 20:20 the crew began their descent for Brønnøysund and switched frequencies to Brønnøysund AFIS.
Weather reported at Brønnøysund was: wind 220°/05 kts, visibility 9 km, 3/8 stratus at 600 feet and 6/8 at 1000 feet, temperature +6 C, QNH 1022 MB.
The crew executed a VOR/DME approach to Brønnøysund's runway 04, followed by a circle for landing on runway 22. The crew left the prescribed altitude 4 NM early. The aircraft descended until it flew into the Torghatten hillside at 560 feet.
A retired police officer reported in July 2013 that a passenger had taken a mobile phone on board. The police officer disembarked the plane at Namsos, a stop-over and reported that the passenger with the mobile phone was seated in the cockpits jump-seat.
After the accident, he reported this fact to the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC). After reading the investigation report during the 25th anniversary of the accident, he noticed that there was no mention of the mobile phone.
NMT 450 network-based mobiles at the time were fitted with a 15-watt transmitter and a powerful battery which could lead to disruption in electronic equipment.
The Norwegian AIB conducted an investigation to determine if electronic interference from the mobile phone might have affected the flight instruments. The AIB concluded that there was no evidence to support the theory that there was any kind of interference.
The cause of the accident was that the last part of the approach was started about 4 NM too soon. The aircraft therefore flew below the safe terrain clearance altitude and crashed into rising terrain. The Board cannot indicate any certain reason why the approach started so early.
